Back at the Gym

So I'm back at the gym. Not that I wanted to go, but my husband Tim, has decided to work from home. The gym suddenly seems like an appealing place to be.

I have to admit, I'm not keen when my husband works from home. The kitchen table becomes his temporary workplace and I am effectively banished from the one room in the house that is my "office". After all, my daily chores of washing, ironing, cleaning and cooking all have to take place in this one room of the house, but with him on the phone or on video conference calls throughout the day, I can't really start up the washing machine, can I? 

Incidentally, whilst I am on the subject of my washing machine, it happens to be the noisiest and most irritating one ever to exist - it rattles and bangs to the point I think it is actually going to blow up. Does anyone else find this happens to theirs? It's the twenty-first century - man can build a rocket that can travel to fucking Mars, but can't build a machine to wash clothes quietly.....

Another annoying aspect of Tim working from home - is that I can't use the kettle. (Again - too fucking noisy!) Now, anyone who knows me will know that I can only exist with bucket loads of coffee inside me. Every morning I wake and shuffle downstairs like some crystal-meth addict (let me paint you a picture - hair all over the place, tiny holes for eyes, bloodshot from another episode of insomnia) and the kettle is immediately switched on for my first hit of the day.  By 9am I have had 3 or 4 and only at that point, do I begin to feel vaguely human.  So to not be able to have free access to what I consider one of my most important basic needs is, quite frankly, bloody irritating.

The other annoying thing about Tim working from home is the fact that he sees it as an impromptu opportunity to have what is known in our house as "naughty" (you can guess what that means!). You see, we have children - 2 boys, Ben and Teddy, so "naughty" generally has to be planned in advance.....to avoid any embarrassing situations.

So when I rock up at home from school drop-off, Tim looks at me in this weird way and literally goes all "Benny Hill" on me - he starts chasing me around the kitchen (just like Benny Hill did to those scantily-dressed girls), arms stretched out and humming the Benny Hill theme tune....

As most married women of a certain age will attest, "naughty" is not high on their priority list and in most instances, a nice cup of tea is preferable! 

So with all of that in mind, I've returned to the safety of the gym, well, I say the gym, but actually, I've only made it as far as the "adult's only" coffee area. In the blissful silence, as I sip my double-shot skinny cap I ponder the question - go home or go and exercise? Hmm, what do you think?!




Comments

Popular Posts